Rolling a new stove pipe

Lightweight Packable wood stoves

Rolling a new stove pipe

Postby MontanaMarine » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:46 pm

I had read in more than one place how rolling a new pipe can be a little tricky. I watched the video that SO has posted on you-tube, so had a good idea what it would be like.

So when we received our SXL stove a few days ago, I was thinking how to make it go easy. And it worked well.

I had a round cardboard cylinder shipping container, I think a rifle cleaning rod came in it. It is about 36" long and 2.5" in diameter.

I layed the foil out flat on the floor, and rolled one end using the cardboard as a form. Worked great. Got a couple rings on it, then did the same on the other end, and worked all the rings on.

When I burned it the first time, I stoked it plenty hot. It turned light blue at the bottom, and going up a ways. So I let the fire die down, then flipped the pipe, and burned the other end good too.

At the end of it all, when I took it apart, the pipe nearly stayed in a cylinder with no rings at all.

Anyway, just thought I'd share.

Here's a pic of the 6-man, with SXL and 9-ft pipe during the burn-in.

Shane

MontanaMarine

Re: Rolling a new stove pipe

Postby kevin_t » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:27 pm

Good tips thanks .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kevin_t

Postby jigstick » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:18 pm

I am ordering my 16man TIPI tomorrow and I'm stuck between ordering the XL Titanium stove vs the even bigger stainless steel one. Do you think the stove you are showing in this post would heat your 12man tipi? The titanium XL one is even bigger than the SXL. Im wondering if the XL Titanium is going to be big enough to heat the 16man
jigstick

Postby Akicita » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:54 pm

I think the good folks at Seek Outside would recommend the XXL Stainless for the 16 man. . . I know I would . . .
Akicita

Postby MontanaMarine » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:08 pm

I'd also go with the stainless XXL for the 16-man.

We use the cylinder stove from our wall tent in our 12-man. It holds a fire for a couple hours, that's kind of nice.

The SXL probably wouldn't be enough in a 12-man, in prolonged sub-freezing conditions.

Shane
MontanaMarine

Postby jigstick » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:47 am

Sorry for being a little off topic here. I have a Four Dog stove that I use now in my current set up. My plan is to use that in the 16man tipi when car camping or camping close to roads. But if me and my boys have to pack in for a hunt I plan on using the flex pitch option to reduce the volume of the tent. So I have to figure out which stove to use in that application. I think the 16man flex pitched is more like a 10-12man size. Would the Xl Titanium stove heat that?
jigstick

Postby ktimm » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:03 am

The XL , SXL will work to about freezing . Below freezing XXL . It is more about pipe size

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ktimm
Site Admin

Return to Wood Stoves

x