What size of stove?

Lightweight Packable wood stoves

What size of stove?

Postby CPMathews » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:43 am

Hi there, I'm in the market for a portable stove for winter camping. My group and I typically use hammocks and are comfortable sleeping in single digit temperatures, subzero when necessary. What I would like is to have is a place to sit down and warm up. We would not be using this shelter to sleep in. We typically go pretty light but we are certainly not gram counters.

Would the small stove be adequate for a shelter big enough for 4 guys to sit in?
CPMathews

Re: What size of stove?

Postby swisski » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:59 am

I think the main things will be the frequency of how often you have to stoke the stove, and the burn time. I'm sure even the smallest stove will heat a decent size shelter reasonably well. You'll just have to stock it more often and with smaller sticks/pieces of wood.

To give some perspective, I have the 8 man tipi with XL stove. While that stove might be larger than you are looking for, the 8 man is roughly 190 square feet I believe, and that stove more than easily heats that area up. It's really quite amazing actually.

I like it because I can get a nice burn time of out of it without having to re-stoke it all the time.
swisski

Return to Wood Stoves

x