Pitching 8 Man with line loc extensions

Pitching 8 Man with line loc extensions

Postby swisski » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:38 pm

Has anybody pitched any of the bigger tents using the line loc extensions? We do it on the Cimarron all the time, and it works great for added ventilation- typically leaving an inch to a few inches of air gap. I'm just curious what the method would be for doing so while pitching one of the tipi's? I always use the set back method. It seems it could be a bit more finicky to get that dialed in. Just wondering if anybody has any experience with that?

I've always pitched my 8 man directly to the ground, but would like to play around with getting some lift on it for better ventilation, especially in warmer months.

Thanks
swisski

Re: Pitching 8 Man with line loc extensions

Postby ktimm » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:40 pm

They can work yes . They can be more finicky with the setback method . It might be easiest to still do that but come out a distance per extension

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ktimm
Site Admin

Postby parshal » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:36 am

I've got line-locs on all my SO shelters including the 12 man. I've always used the setback method and I have had to fiddle with things. Eventually I settled on setting the extensions halfway extended, using the setback and moving the stake location to the loop on the extension. I still have to go back around a couple times to get it close.
parshal

Postby swisski » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:56 am

Thanks for the info. I looked at your pitching instructions which are newer since the last time I've looked. I think if your going to use the line-loc's, probably using a cord with a predetermined length, or marking your center pole would probably be the easiest for getting a consistent pitch each time.
swisski

Postby zuma » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:03 am

I use just elastic loops with fishermen knot. Use them double to get a tight set up close tot the ground. When I want more ventilation I use them whole (not double). Big advantage always tight nylon pitch since the elastic catches the sag of nylon.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-N9005 met Tapatalk
zuma

Postby parshal » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:58 pm

I just finished putting line locs on my 16 man. On this shelter, I put the line locs with 18" of cordage on the inside stakeout loops. My thinking is it will provide more ventilation. If I don't care about ventilation I'll use the outside loops and stake it down tight to the ground.

I based this decision on what I found under the pitch instructions:

Our tipis have inner and outer stake loops. Pitch with the inner loops to raise the sod skirt and allow more venting in warm weather. Pitch with the outer loops to seal the skirt to the ground.
parshal

Postby swisski » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:06 pm

Nice call Parshal. I never noticed that bit of information before.
swisski

Postby parshal » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:42 pm

Incidentally, I pitched my Redcliff and swapped the linelocs to the inside and, boy, does it let in air! I had to repitch it last night using just the outside loops and it was much warmer.
parshal

Return to Tents

x