Packing out meat

All things gear related

Packing out meat

Postby jovanostu » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:14 pm

I have not been able to find a clear "best gear setup" for backpacking meat.
1. Carry it in backpack bag vs "meat shelf" (Revolution Platform)?
2. Best way to keep blood contained? (plastic bags or silnylon or ?)
3. Best way to stabilize boned out meat - how to control that blob, especially in "meat shelf"?
Any proven gear you recommend...

Thanks!
jovanostu

Re: Packing out meat

Postby swisski » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:54 am

Honestly it's pretty straight forward with the Revolution. The only way I've used it is sandwiched between the pack bag and frame, so therefore utilizing the load or meat shelf. The meat itself was just in a reusable game bag. It's easily stabilized by utilizing all the side compression straps from the frame to the bag. Clean up is a total breeze with these packs because of their material.
swisski

Postby jovanostu » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:46 pm

Thanks for the post swisski. Does the game bag need to be the non-stretch kind? My current bags are very stretchy, boneless meat would be like a balloon...
jovanostu

Postby Philip.AK » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:19 am

We also always put the meat between the back panel and the main pack bag, and the meat is just in cotton (some nylon) game bags, but we don’t bone it out so the quarters, ribs, etc keep their shape making transport easier (though heavier). We do end up with a bag of ‘giblets’ however, like the blackstrap, tenderloins, heart, neck, etc. Everyone dreads getting the giblet bag because it does not hold its shape and behaves poorly. Probably your best bet is to get a large dry bag and put the game bags inside of that to control the shape. Something like the Sea to Summit Big River which comes in a 65 liter size. Just take the game bags out of the dry bag to cool and dry the meat at every opportunity.
Philip.AK

Postby ktimm » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:41 am

I've seen it done a lot of ways from large trash bags to full quarters . We usually bone out because of weight and distance . If we are close or had the man power I'd leave bone in . That being said , the material cleans up easy. I prefer breathable bags if I will be out any time with it or it's early season . I think in the interior shelf of the brooks is the simplest but you want something to segment your gear from the meat, the breakaway bags do this but it takes a bit more time but not much . For boned out meat I think a slender profile is the ticket . I have a couple proto bags I was going to test this year unfortunately I never needed them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ktimm
Site Admin

Postby Hunter675 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:25 am

I carry boned out meat in a meat shelf on my exo, between the frame and bag. I strap it to the bag making sure the meat rides high and doesn’t sag.
Most importantly use a quality game bag. I use ovis sacks but tag bags and caribou bags also come recommended.
The bags do bleed a little but I have never had trouble cleaning the pack when I get home. Also the game bags allows the meat to cool some on the pack out where putting it in a dry bag or trash bag doesn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hunter675

Return to Gear

x